Gentling Smiles: Dental Filling Process
Dental fillings are commonly used by dentists to help repair decay or damage found in teeth. Gentling Smiles offers different services use to restore teeth including dental fillings. Fillings are most used to fill a tooth that suffers from decay when bacteria begins to eat away at the enamel. Continue reading on to learn more about the process for a dental filling.
- Exam. The first step is the initial exam in which the dentist provides you with a thorough examination of the teeth and gums. They will also take a series of x-rays to see better what the naked eye cannot. During this exam, the dentist will recommend receiving a dental filling.
- Anesthetic. Before beginning the procedure, the dentist will provide a local anesthetic to the affected area. This will numb the surroundings in order to avoid discomfort and pain during the procedure. It can be applied in a topical or shot form.
- Removing the decay. Once the procedure has started, the dentist will need to remove any and all signs of decay in the tooth with the help of a dental drill. During this process, they will clean the tooth. You will not be able to feel anything during this portion of the procedure.
- Filling the tooth. After the decay is totally removed, the dentist will then begin to fill the area. Many different materials can be used to fill a tooth, but the most common option is a tooth-colored composite resin filling. They will bond and cure the material to the tooth for a lasting finish.
- Polishing and bite. Finally, the dentist will polish the area and check on the bite of your teeth. They may make adjustment accordingly in order to provide you with a comfortable bite.